One of Stuart’s childhood (and college) favorite sweets at the holidays (or anytime) was puppy chow. There a many varieties of puppy chow – or monkey munch, or muddy buddies – but all involve chocolate and powdered sugar. I’ve never made puppy chow, and can’t remember ever having it growing up. I think my first introduction to this addicting sweet cereal mix was through Stuart when his mom brought him a gallon size bag full during a college visit.
Place the puppy chow in individual baggies and send them to school with your kids on Friday, February 14th!This Valentine’s Day version uses red velvet cake mix and Valentine colored M&Ms.
Red Velvet Puppy Chow
- 3/4 C white chocolate chips
- 1/4 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 5 C rice Chex® cereal
- 1 C red velvet cake mix (use boxed mix or make your own!)
- 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 C Valentine colored M&Ms®
- Melt together white and semi-sweet chocolate until smooth. (I did this in a double boiler, but you can do it in the microwave too – just keep an eye on it and stir often.)
- Place cereal in a large bowl. Gently fold melted chocolate over the cereal until coated.
- In a large plastic bag combine cake mix and powdered sugar. Place chocolate coated cereal in bag and shake until completely coated. Spread out onto a baking sheet and let cool.
*This recipe is modified from Lizzy Mae at http://www.yourcupofcake.com/2013/01/red-velvet-puppy-chow.html*