You know those popcorn tins you get around the holidays? There’s that regular butter popcorn, that takes up the most room, then there’s cheddar popcorn, and finally everyone’s favorite, caramel covered popcorn.
This recipe for caramel popcorn is almost identical. And without the preservatives! I don’t know if that really makes it healthier… it is still full of sugar, butter, and more sugar.
- canola oil, enough to coat bottom of pot
- 1/2 C popcorn kernels
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1/8 C corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Put canola oil in pot along with 2-3 kernels of popcorn. Cover and stand by. Once you hear the kernels pop, add the 1/2 C of popcorn. Cover and cook over medium heat until popping slows. Gently shake the pop during the popping process so as not to burn the popcorn at the bottom. Remove from heat and remain covered until popping has ceased, unless you want to be pelted with popcorn. (If you have another method of popping popcorn, feel free to use it.)
- Melt together butter, sugar, syrup, salt, and vanilla. You can do this either over the stove top or in the microwave for 2 minutes. Whisk until combined and add in the baking soda.
- Pour caramel over cooked popcorn. Toss until popcorn is completely coated.
- Cover popcorn and microwave for 1:30 min. Toss and microwave for another 1:30. Spread popcorn out on a wax paper lined surface and allow to cool. Break apart clumps if desired.
*This recipe is modified from Brenda at http://www.afarmgirlsdabbles.com/2013/12/23/moms-microwave-caramel-popcorn-recipe/*
5 thoughts on “Caramel Popcorn”
Love your container!
Thanks! Friends of ours brought them back for us from Disney 🙂
Looks great, I love caramel popcorn.
For some reason I was always afraid of making it, but in making the caramel in the microwave there’s nothing to be afraid of!
I tend to make caramel regularly. But I never heard of the microwave method? 🙂