A big part of Thanksgiving weekend is watching the Iron Bowl.
We gather around the TV, taking a break from Thanksgiving foods, to stuff our faces with game day dishes while watching the most stressful game of the season. This year I’m expecting a great game. The stakes our high this year – ESPN Game Day will be on The Plains, Alabama is ranked #1, Auburn is ranked #4, and a ticket to the SEC Championship Game is on the line.
Here are a few of the recipes that will be on the coffee table this year:
Football Game Day Dip
- 1 lb Velveeta
- 1 can Rotel
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- Brown ground beef, drain fat.
- Cube Velveeta and put in a microwavable dish. Stir in Rotel and beef.
- Microwave for 2 minutes at a time, stirring. Once cheese is melted serve with Tostitos!
Shake ‘n’ Bake Buffalo Bites
- 1 pkt Shake ‘n’ Bake
- 3 lb chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 bottle Frank’s Red Hot buffalo sauce (not hot sauce)
- Toss chicken in Shake ‘n’ Bake.
- Place chicken on baking sheet. Bake at 375deg for 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Toss cooked chicken in buffalo sauce. Serve with ranch dressing!
This year we’re experimenting with chicken wings instead! Baking them on a metal rack on a baking sheet at 425deg for 30min.
Cranberry Barbecue Turkey Sliders
- 1 1/2 C cranberry sauce
- 1/2 C orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 1/8 C honey
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
- left over turkey, shredded
- slider buns
- Bring ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Pour sauce into a blender or use an immersion blender.
- Toss turkey in barbecue sauce. Assemble slider sandwiches.
*This recipe is adapted from John at http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2011/11/cranberry-orange-bbq-sauce.html*
UPDATE: We had so much food that the sliders weren’t made this year. I will be making them for the SEC Championship Game next weekend instead!