An absolute must have on the Thanksgiving table is Papa’s Sweet Potato Casserole. This recipe originated from Stuart’s grandfather. I have to admit that I have changed the recipe to decrease the amount of sugar.
The first time I made this casserole I substituted real pureed sweet potato in place of canned yams at my mother-in-laws recommendation. I looked at the recipe and the large quantity of sugar in the casserole frightened me, so I halved it. Even still it was way to sweet for my family members. Since then I’ve decreased the sugar even more and even reduced the amount of heavy cream. I must confess, every time I make this it turns out a little bit differently. Using fresh sweet potatoes means that I might not have the exact amount of puree once I pull it out of the food processor so I eyeball the heavy cream until the mixture reaches the perfect color.
On Thanksgiving I never have enough SPC! I even double the recipe allowing me to make one version with pecans and one version without. (My dad is allergic to nuts) To save on kitchen counter space, I make the casserole filling on Wednesday leaving only the topping to make and add right before putting in the oven Thursday.
Papa’s Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3-4 sweet potatoes
- 1/2 – 3/4 C heavy cream
- 1 1/2 stick butter, divided use
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1/2 C flour
- chopped pecans (optional)
- Prick potatoes with a fork and bake at 400 degrees F for 60 minutes until soft.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Peel potatoes when they are cool enough to handle.
- In a food processor puree sweet potatoes with heavy cream (you may need to do this in batches).
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, 1 stick melted butter, sugar, vanilla, spices, and eggs. Pour into a casserole dish.
- Make the topping: combine brown sugar, flour, and 1/2 stick melted butter. If using pecans add to this mixture as well. Cover casserole with topping and bake 30-40 minutes, until it no longer jiggles.
5 thoughts on “Papa’s Sweet Potato Casserole”
This is so good!!! Nom nom nom!!