Halloween in my house means Sloppy Joes. I don’t know if it really was an annual Halloween supper or not, but my brain connects Halloween with Sloppy Joes.
Sloppy Joes make for a great sandwich night. The ingredients are pantry staples and it’s quick to come together. The meat mixture reheats beautifully and your lunchbox the next morning is more appetizing than the typical deli meat and cheese.
Turkey Sloppy Joes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Vidalia onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 C ketchup
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- In a large sided skillet saute onion in olive oil. When translucent add the garlic and turkey. Break up the turkey as it cooks.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl whisk together ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire, vinegar, and tomato sauce.
- After turkey is cooked through, stir in the tomato paste. After 45-60 seconds add in the sauce. Stir and warm through for 3 minutes.
- Spoon Sloppy Joe mixture onto hamburger buns. Eat and trick-or-treat!
*This recipe is modified from Jessica at http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2012/04/turkey-sloppy-joes/*