Disclaimer: There were no candy corns harmed in the making of these fajitas.
I wanted to bring my candy corn theme to Mexican Monday and I felt the best way to do this was with bell peppers and onion and the best way to showcase the candy corn colors was through fajitas. Using this platform, the white, orange, and yellow aren’t hidden within closed tortillas or underneath melted cheese.
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided use
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, chopped
- 1 tsp adobo sauce (from can of chipotle peppers)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 1/2 tsp cumin, divided use
- 2 1/2 tsp chili powder, divided use
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 lb flank steak, sliced on the bias into strips
- 1/2 large white onion, sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- Make marinade: combine 2 tbsp olive oil, lemon juice, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp chili powder, onion powder, garlic, Worcestershire, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce.
- Season steak with S+P and toss in the marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Toss onions and bell peppers in 1 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 1/2 tsp chili powder, S+P. Saute vegetables in 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. When tender remove from skillet and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, cook the steak to desired doneness.
- Serve with sour cream and cheese.
*This recipe is modified from Rachel at http://www.thestayathomechef.com/2013/05/flank-steak-fajitas.html*