What is more comforting than meatloaf? But what is also more boring than meatloaf? Not much. This meatloaf recipe gets a makeover into a Mexican Monday favorite. The refried beans keep the loaf moist and the pepperjack cheese gives it a slight kick. Top it with enchilada sauce and sour cream instead of ketchup or barbecue sauce and you’re in for a flavor overload.
In a pinch I have substituted taco sauce in place of the enchilada sauce and it gives it just a little bit more heat. I guess in that instance it’d be called Turkey Taco Meatloaf!
Turkey Enchilada Meatloaf
- 1 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1 C refried beans
- 1 C shredded pepperjack cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 C breadcrumbs or panko
- 1/2 tsp each chili powder and cumin
- 1 C enchilada sauce (or taco sauce!)
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 1/2 C honey
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, beans, cheese, breadcrumbs, seasonings, egg, and salt and pepper. Put into a loaf pan, cover, and set in the fridge for at least 10 minutes. You can also prepare this the night before.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together enchilada sauce, sour cream, and honey.
- Top meatloaf with about 1/2 – 3/4 of the sauce (save the remainder for leftovers or topping your meatloaf slices) before putting in the oven. Bake uncovered one hour.
*This recipe is adapted from Carrian at http://www.ohsweetbasil.com/2013/04/turkey-meatloaf-enchilada-style.html*