I really wasn’t sure if I would be able to support #AppleWeek and I decided at close to the last minute that, I could make it happen! And while I unfortunately missed my opportunity to sign up for some (not all!) great sponsor items, that didn’t mean I couldn’t share some fabulous apple recipes with 2 dozen of my blogging friends. A huge thank you goes out to Carlee of Cooking with Carlee for organizing this great week.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.
I had just purchased a curriculum for homeschooling my preschooler which opened up a lot of time I didn’t think I was going to have and the first unit is apples! While I’m actually saving that unit to coincide with some family apple picking, it had me thinking! And I’d just made this savory pork dinner from Bobby Flay’s Grill It.
Clearly the blogging gods pulling me to partake in #AppleWeek!
Pork chops and apple sauce is a classic combination and has often been elevated and modernized. In fact, one of my favorite dinners is Pork Chops with Spiced Apples from Tyler Florence’s Real Kitchen.
It would seem natural that apple butter could pair nicely with pork chops, too. And, I’m sure it does! But the apple butter you’re thinking of (and that I thought originally when reading the recipe title) is not the apple butter served over these chops. Instead of a “butter” made from apples, it’s real butter infused with apples, onions, and spices. Delicious!
Molasses-Mustard Glazed Pork Chops with Apple Butter
Ingredients for pork:
- 1/4 C molasses
- 1/4 C Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp whole-grain mustard
- 4 1″ thick bone-in pork chops
- 2 tbsp canola oil
Ingredients for butter:
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- Make butter: In a large non-stick skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onions until tender. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the apples and browns sugar. Cook until apples are soft yet not falling apart. Stir in the cinnamon and salt, cook another minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place in a food processor with the butter until smooth. Cover and refrigerate a least an hour. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Make the glaze: Whisk together the molasses and mustards. Season to taste with S+P.
- Grill the pork chops: Brush the pork with the canola oil, season with S+P, and grill 3-4 minutes. Brush with the glaze and flip the pork. Grill another 4 – 5 minutes. Brush with more glaze and cook another minute. Remove from heat and allow pork to rest under foil for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of the apple butter.
*This recipe is adapted from Bobby Flay’s Grill It *
Be sure to enter the giveaway and check out these great apple recipes:
Appelflappen from Palatable Pastime
Apple Butter Cream Cheese Spread from Tip Garden
Apple Cinnamon Roll Pie from Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
Apple Cranberry Galettes with Caramel Drizzle from Family Around the Table
Apple Maple Jam from Feeding Big
Apple Oat Quick Bread with Caramel Sauce from The Chef Next Door
Apple Yeast Coffee Cake from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Easiest Ever Applesauce from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Grilled Apple Butter Pork Tenderloin from Books n’ Cooks
Grilled Veggie Tacos with Apple Pico de Gallo from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Honeycrisp and Gouda Grilled Cheese from The Redhead Baker
Italian Apple and Fig Polenta Torta from All That’s Jas
Molasses-Mustard Glazed Pork Chops with Apple Butter from Sew You Think You Can Cook
Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Apples from House of Nash Eats
Roasted Pork with Apple Puree from Simple and Savory
Savory Apple Bacon Pizza from Cooking With Carlee
Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Roast From Amy’s Cooking Adventures