There’s a brunch place around the corner that we discovered shortly after moving in that has the best pancakes. Ever. I always order the Strawberry Delight Pancakes which is a stack of three large chocolate chip pancakes topped with fresh strawberries, whipped cream, and extra chocolate chips. They’re perfectly tender with a bite to the “crust.” I can devour the large plate by myself. And pancakes aren’t usually my go-to breakfast order.
When I made these chocolate chip pancakes the immediately reminded me of Wildflower’s stack of pancakes. If only I had strawberries from the farmers market left! It would have been game over.
I wasn’t planning on blogging these pancakes or even photographing them, but when I took a bite all of that changed. Maybe the key to these pancakes is the combination of buttermilk and whole milk – a substitution I had to make due to a lack of enough buttermilk. Another key to the recipe is using mini chocolate chips, they simply distribute throughout the batter better.
Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 2 C flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 C buttermilk
- 1 C whole milk
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 C mini chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs with the buttermilk, milk, and melted butter.
- Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- On a hot buttered griddle drop 1/4 C of batter into pancakes. Flip pancakes when batter starts to set and bubbles form in the center of the pancake. Cook until both sides are golden brown.
- Serve with whipped cream and fresh fruit.
*This recipe is modified from Cade and Carrian at http://www.ohsweetbasil.com/better-moms-chocolate-chip-pancakes-recipe*