Can you believe we haven’t had an apple themed #BundtBakers yet?! I can’t. I love using apples in baking, often using applesauce in lieu of oil. My very first post shared with this great group of bakers was my grandmother’s Fresh Apple Bundt Cake. I’ve used apple cider and even filled a bundt cake moat with apples.
#BundtBakers is a group of bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bundts with a common ingredient or theme. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient. So who do I have to thank this month for picking a perfect theme? My blogging buddy Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm!
I thought about the ingredient. Apples. And I thought about one of my favorite afternoon snacks – apples and peanut butter! There are countless peanut butter cakes out there on Pinterest. I decided on this particular peanut butter cake and added some apple-ness to it. I used apple juice instead of coffee in the cake batter and folded in diced apples. For the glaze, I again used apple juice, this time instead of milk. The overall apple flavor is quite subtle, but the bites with apple in them are sublime.
I baked this cake while my husband was on a work trip. The consequence being that it never made it to his office to share with coworkers. I definitely started my mornings that week with a slice of Apple & Peanut Butter Bundt Cake! And I’m not even sorry about it.
I stored this cake in the fridge, simply to keep it away from the fruit flies that keep frequenting my abode. Turns out a downside to no air conditioning combined with healthy (cake excluding) eating means there’s always a fruit fly or twelve finding their way back in through the screens on the open windows.
I quite enjoyed the cake eaten cold, but my husband preferred it heated in the microwave. Yes, I did save some cake for him. Though he likes to pretend that I didn’t. Not having told him what was hiding underneath the aluminum foil in the fridge. With all his complaining he sure enjoyed his fair share after the boys fell asleep!
Apple & Peanut Butter Bundt Cake
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 C sugar-free apple juice
- 1/2 C creamy peanut butter
- 1 C sugar
- 1 C brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 C flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 C buttermilk
- 1 -2 Granny Smith apples, chopped
Ingredients for glaze:
- 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp apple juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heavily grease a bundt pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the handle attachment, beat together the melted butter, peanut butter, and apple juice until combined. Add in the sugars, eggs, and vanilla. Mix until incorporated. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and buttermilk until well combined. Fold in the apples.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan. Bake 50 – 60 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted comes out cleanly. Allow cake to cool before unmolding.
- Make the glaze: Using a hand mixer, beat the peanut butter in a large bowl. Once softened, add the powdered sugar and half of the apple juice. Continue adding apple juice 1 tsp at a time until glaze is smooth and reaches desired consistency. Pour glaze over cooled cake. Note: Any leftover glaze goes very nicely with freshly sliced apples!
*This recipe is adapted from Monique at http://divascancook.com/peanut-butter-cake-recipe-peanut-butter-frosting-easy/
And don’t forget to take a peek at what other talented bakers have baked this month:
Apple Almond Coffee Cake with Honey Glaze by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Apple and Toasted Pecan Bundt Cake with Rum Syrup by Patty’s Cake
Apple Crumble Bundt by Jane’s Adventure in Dinner
Apple French Cruller Bundt Cake by All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
Apple Honey Blossom Bundt by Living the Gourmet
Apple Sharlotka Bundt Cake by Spiceroots
Apple Spice Bundt with Salted Caramel Sauce by kidsandchic
Apple Streusel Bundt Cake by The Freshman Cook
Apple~Cream Cheese Bundt Cake by The Queen of Scones
Chocolate Chip Apple Cake by Making Miracles
Cinnamon Apple Streusel Cake by Tea and Scones
Cinnamon Pecan Applesauce Bundt Cake by Magnolia Days
Clotted Cream & Apple Spice Bundt by Baking in Pyjamas
Double Caramel Apple Bundt by The Crumby Cupcake
Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy Apple Bundt by Food Lust People Love
Jewish Apple Cake by I love Bundt Cakes
Jewish Praline Pecan Apple Cake by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
Lighter Jewish Apple Cake by Cookaholic Wife