Do you experience a big gravitational pull towards salads that happens every January?
Eating salads as a main meal isn’t something we do as often as we probably should. And when we do it comes in waves. Maybe we’ll make it a whole month having a salad night once a week and then all of a sudden you’d be hard pressed to find lettuce in the fridge.
This Greek Salad is one that we made in the beginning of the year. There were a good deal of moving parts but it still came together quickly and easily. While homemade pita chips are baking in the oven, the rest of the dish can come together. And don’t forget to let your meat rest before slicing it, allowing you the perfect amount of time to pull together the dressing.
To use up the leftovers, I stuffed everything inside a pita pocket as a perfect lunch.
- 1 1/2 lb sirloin steak
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing pita
- 4 pitas
- red pepper flakes
- dried oregano
- 1 C Greek yogurt
- 1/2 C crumbled Feta cheese
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- juice of 2 lemons, divided use
- 2 hearts of romaine, chopped
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 C loosely packed fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rub 1 tbsp olive oil over the steak and season both sides with S+P. Grill 3-4 minutes on each side, or until desired temperature is reached. Allow meat to rest 10 minutes. Thinly slice.
- Tear pitas and place on a baking sheet, brush with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt, oregano, and pepper flakes. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until crispy but not burnt.
- Put the yogurt, Feta, garlic, cumin, and juice of 1 lemon in a food processor. Process until smooth and a pour-able consistency is reached. Add a little water if needed.
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with the juice of 1 lemon and the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil. Season to taste with S+P.
- Assemble the salad: Top lettuce with pita, veggies, dressing and parsley, and meat.
*This recipe is adapted from Rachael Ray’s Look + Cook*