The ingredients I voted for actually won this month’s Crazy Ingredient Challenge! It did come down to a one vote swing though for the chives over graham crackers. I have to say, graham crackers and apples wouldn’t be that “crazy” so I’m glad chives took the lead.
I didn’t think this combination would be too difficult though. I ended up being surprised. I kept thinking of some sort of tart or pie type dessert, but honestly, I didn’t have the time (or energy) for that. I then decided to try making an apple jelly with chives. I found a two-ingredient jelly using just apple juice and honey and thought, “Now that I have time for!” I think I cooked the mixture too long because what I ended up with something closer to a candy. Had I realized it was candy I wouldn’t have put it in an ice cream dish to cool and instead have spread it on a baking sheet. The aforementioned ice cream dish was sacrificed to the garbage can (good thing it was a 59 cent thrift store find!). It was now back to the drawing board.
I settled on an Apple and Cheddar muffin recipe. I simply swapped cinnamon for chives. The batter really reminded me of a corn bread (although with flour instead of cornmeal) so I decided to bake these in my Mini Loaf Pan instead of a muffin tin. But then I ran into a dilemma of what to call these guys! They weren’t flakey enough to be biscuits, but lighter than a savory scone would be, and it wasn’t a muffin at this point. So… mini loaves it is!
We loved these mini loaves. They were a great accompaniment to some buttermilk brined chicken and green beans. The loaves were also begging to be dunked in a warm bowl of soup or chili or paired with eggs in the morning. I found them best eaten the same day however the do warm up nicely in the microwave.
Apple Cheddar Chive Mini Loaves
- 2 C flour
- 1/3 C sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 C shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 egg
- 1 C buttermilk
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-well mini loaf pan or a 12-well muffin pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the cheese.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg with buttermilk and oil. Stir into the dry ingredients.
- Shred the apple over the bowl and fold into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out cleanly. Allow loaves to cool in the pan 5-10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
*This recipe is adapted from http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/apple-cheddar-muffins*
To see the other bloggers who participated in this month’s Crazy Ingredient Challenge click on the link below.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.