My favorite thing about the many blogging groups I’m in, besides the feeling of community and support, is that they give me direction. I like having a “homework assignment” to help inspire a new recipe or give me that push I needed to cross something off the culinary bucket list.
That being said, when I saw the theme for today’s Sunday Supper hosted by T.R. of Gluten Free Crumbley, I’d already had my recipe conveniently in the oven! Unfortunately, it wasn’t a success.
I’d never worked with puff pastry before and while I let it thaw ahead of time the dough remained raw in the center around the salmon. I felt like a contestant on Chopped praying to my oven to cook. After multiple trips in the oven the puff pastry wasn’t getting any closer to being cooked and I didn’t want to compromise the salmon. We loved the salmon and cream cheese filling so much that I knew I’d be giving it another try.
I thought about trying the recipe using seamless crescent roll dough, but I didn’t know if the salmon would cook through in time so instead I turned to my Sunday Supper family for advice. Stacy of Food Lust People Love asked if my fish was cold. The answer was yes. As was the cream cheese center. I made the recipe again the next week while the baby arugula was still good. I let the cream cheese come to room temperature, left the salmon out on the counter for 30 minutes, and more thinly rolled out the puff pastry. Success!
Salmon in Puff Pastry
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
- 2 skinless 6-8 oz salmon filets
- 1/3 C cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 C chopped baby arugula
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Roll puff pastry to 1/8″ thickness.
- Mix cream cheese and arugula, season to taste with S+P.
- Place one salmon filet in the center of the puff pastry and season with S+P. Spread the cream cheese mixture top of the salmon. Top with the other piece of salmon. Fold the puff pastry over the top of the fish, trimming any excess.
- Transfer the fish to the prepared baking sheet and spritz with cooking spray (optional).
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until puff pastry is golden and fish is cooked through.
*This recipe is adapted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible*
- 2 Ingredient Orange Juice Frosty Drink by The Educators’ Spin On It
- Five Ingredient Sangria by Our Good Life
- Pina Colada Summer Smoothie by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
Appetizers and Snacks
- 5-Ingredient Creamy Avocado Dressing by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Crescent Jalapeno Poppers by The Weekend Gourmet
- Crockpot Chicken Chili Dip by The Crumby Cupcake
- Gluten Free Peach Salsa by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Zucchini and Goat Cheese Roll Ups by Food Done Light
- Marinated Feta Tomato Skewers by Noshing with the Nolands
- Roasted Chili-Lime Peanuts by Casa de Crews
- Strawberry Coconut Soup with Mint by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- 3 Ingredient Steak Marinade by MealDiva
- Baked Fajita Chicken by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Crab Pasta by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Portobello Mushrooms by Palatable Pastime
- Healthy Chocolate Protein Pancakes by Momma’s Meals
- Homemade Porcini Almond Pasta by The Joyful Foodie
- Abruzzo Style Cannellini Beans with Fennel & Chicken by Delaware Girl Eats
- Nutella BLT Sandwich by Brunch with Joy
- Salmon in Puff Pastry by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Simple Brined Roast Chicken with Herbs and Garlic by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Simple Grilled Tilapia by Cooking Chat
- Simple Summer Shrimp and Asparagus by eating in instead
- Skirt Steak and Grilled Potatoes for a Crowd by Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken by Nosh My Way
- Slowcooker Ravioli Lasagne by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Brazilian Black Beans by Curious Cuisiniere
- Korean Seasoned Dried Squid (Ojingeochae muchim) by kimchi MOM
- Mashed Cauliflower with Parmesan by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sauerkraut and Apple Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sesame Lime Edamame by Magnolia Days
- Southern Style Squash Casserole by Recipe for Perfection
- Tomato, Avocado and Bacon Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Apple Drop Candy by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Toffee Cookies by NinjaBaker.com
- Coconut White Chocolate Truffles by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Easy No Churn Peach Frozen Yogurt by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Fluffernutter Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Magic Pudding Dessert by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- No-Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Rhubarb Crumble by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Creamy Coconut, Roasted Strawberry Chocolate Chip Popsicles by Simply Health Family
Recipe Substitution Tips by Sunday Supper
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.