Let the grilling season begin! Tomorrow is Memorial Day and to help you celebrate the #SundaySupper crew have just the menu to get you feeling festive. Everything is red, white, blue or any combination of the three! This clever concept is thanks to our host DB aka Foodie Stuntman of Crazy Foodie Stunts.
I wanted to make a recipe from a cookbook I’ve had in my collection for a couple of years now. Southern Plate by Christy Jordan. My mother-in-law gave me an autographed copy! My MIL has quilted with Christy’s mom for over 20 years!
I figured southern food would fit in nicely with an American holiday. I don’t know why, but when I think “American” I think of southern-inspired decor and food. I picture mason jars, bandanas, burlap, and of course, the American flag. I didn’t grow up “southern” and “home-style cooking”, to me, is not southern food. Maybe Pinterest is to blame for this “country” vibe? Whatever the reason, I was determined to try one of Christy’s recipes!
I searched through the summer section of her book in search of something red, white, and blue. I found a couple salads that I could alter to fit in all three colors but then I went back and checked out the “rules” for today’s event. I didn’t have to have ALL colors in my dish – I could use just one or two. Perfect. I knew exactly what I wanted to make!
Alabama barbecue sauce. This sauce is unlike anything you’ve ever had (unless you’re from Northern Alabama). The first (and only) time I’d even seen this sauce was my senior year in college. I had a great group of friends in my major and we would study together almost daily. Once a month we’d get together for a “family dinner.” In November we put together a huge Thanksgiving spread and invited the significant others and roommates to join in the fun. One of the guys hosted the party and he made white barbecue sauce to go with a fried turkey! (I didn’t know that was a thing either!)
It’s hard to believe that was over 5 years ago. I am eternally grateful for that group of friends, for without them I never would have made it through our aerospace classes without them! Our degree program was very competitive, a quality that isn’t my strongest, and finding 4 other friends who genuinely wanted to see each of us succeed was a great comfort. For that I am ever grateful.
Alabama Barbecue Sauce
- 1/8 C sugar
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 2 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 C mayonnaise
- In a bowl whisk together sugar, pepper, salt, lemon juice, and vinegar until sugar dissolves. Whisk in the mayonnaise until smooth. Refrigerate a couple of hours before use.
- Use for dipping chicken, pork, french fries, etc.
*This recipe is adapted from Christy Jordan*
Food Using One Color
- Baby Back Ribs with Roasted Strawberry Barbecue Sauce by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Baked Tomato Breakfast Cups by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Red Velvet Milk Shake by Nosh My Way
- Strawberry Meringue Tartlets by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Oat Crumble by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Alabama BBQ Sauce by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Blueberry Breakfast Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Blue Velvet Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Food Using Two Colors
Red and White Food
- Pickled Shrimp with Pico de Gallo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Sausage Rougail (Rougail Saucisse) by The Petit Gourmet
Blue and White Food
- Blueberry Feta Cucumber Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Pierogi by Curious Cuisiniere
Red, White and Blue Food
- Berry Berry Celebrations by Momma’s Meals
- Berry Filled Firecracker Cupcakes by The Crumby Cupcake
- Berry Patriotic Chia Seed Pudding by Tasting Page
- Easy Chocolate Covered Marshmallows by Palatable Pastime
- Eton Mess by Caroline’s Cooking
- Greek Yogurt Parfait Bar by Family Foodie
- Grilled Shrimp, Tomato and Bleu Cheese Flatbread by Our Good Life
- Individual Loaded Red, White, and Blue Salads by The Weekend Gourmet
- Patriotic Cocktail by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Patriotic Panna Cotta by The Freshman Cook
- Red White And Blue Coleslaw by Nik Snacks
- Red, White, and Blue Parfaits by Life Tastes Good
- Red, White and Blue Cherry Pie by Savory Experiments
- Red, White, and Blue Potato Salad by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Red, White and Blue Sangria by Food Lust People Love
- Red White and Blue Sundae by Desserts Required
- St. Honore Cake by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Strawberry, Blueberry & Raspberry Cheesecake Crumble by Food Done Light
- Tomato Blue Cheese Crostini by Magnolia Days
- Triple Berry Coconut Chia Pudding Parfaits by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Vanilla Pound Cake with Fresh Berries by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Watermelon, Feta & Beet Appetizer by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.