Welcome to the last day of the third annual #BrunchWeek hosted by Terri of Love and Confections and Shaina of Take a Bite out of Boca. I am ending the week with a perfect recipe to make over the weekend and have to kick start your weekdays. Banana bread.
I never became a coffee addict, even when I was working, however I do enjoy coffee flavor and very rarely indulge in a cup of coffee in the morning (I do require about three heaping spoonfuls of sugar, though). My husband became one of those “I need my morning coffee” people after we got married and entered the “real world” and now enjoys that cup of joe black!
This banana bread recipe is one that my husband has been asking for for quite some time. As you may already know, he has a slight obsession with Bobby Flay and we record his new show on Cooking Channel, Brunch @ Bobby’s. The episode this recipe aired on was titled “Wake Up Brunch” and every dish he made involved coffee. An episode I think most Americans can get behind.
With #BrunchWeek on the horizon I knew that the time had come to finally make this banana bread. I made a mocha whipped cream, using Pacari dark chocolate covered cacao nips, instead of the flavored butter Bobby served with his bread. And instead of chocolate chips, I added in some beautiful California Walnuts. And, to give the bread some heartiness, I threw in some Bob’s Red Mill Old Fashioned Rolled Oats for good measure.
If you’re looking for that perfect morning pick-me-up, I encourage you to make this bread – it’s not just for brunch!
Espresso Banana Oat Bread
- 5 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled
- 1/2 C Dixie Crystals granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp Dixie Crystals Brown Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 C chopped walnuts
- 1/2 C old fashioned rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9″ loaf pan.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter until golden (about 2-3 minutes). Stir in the espresso powder and remove from the heat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat banana with the sugars. Beat in the egg until incorporated. Add the melted butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the stand mixer and beat until combined.
- Fold in the walnuts and oats. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out cleanly. Allow to cool in pan.
*This recipe is adapted from Bobby Flay at http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/bobby-flay/espresso-chocolate-chip-banana-bread-with-espresso-cinnamon-butter.html*
Mocha Whipped Cream
- 1 C heavy cream
- 3 tbsp dark chocolate covered cacao nibs
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring heavy cream and cacao nibs to a simmer. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place in a glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the fridge overnight.
- Strain the cold cream and discard the nibs.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the cream until thickened. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and espresso powder. Beat until firm peaks form.
*This recipe is inspired by Bobby Flay at http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/bobby-flay/dark-chocolate-waffles-with-white-chocolate-custard-sauce-and-chocolate-espresso-whipped-cream.html*
Today is the LAST DAY to enter our giveaway! And be sure to check out the other bloggers who posted more brunch recipes today:
Mocha Frappe from The Redhead Baker.
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains and Pastries:
Flourless Oatmeal Coconut Breakfast Cookies from Take A Bite Out Of Boca.
Pyrizhky z Orikhova Masa from Culinary Adventures with Camilla.
Pancake Muffins with Brown Butter Glazed Walnuts from It’s Yummi.
Buttermilk Waffles with Blueberry Compote from Big Bear’s Wife.
Lemon Blackberry Baked Oatmeal from Cooking in Stilettos.
Bacon Pancake Dippers from Making Miracles.
Espresso Banana Oat Bread from Sew You Think You Can Cook.
Oatmeal and Apple Crown Bread from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner.
Pear and Pecan Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Casserole from Love and Confections.
Spring Celebration Birthday Cake from A Day in the Life on the Farm.
Vanilla Yogurt Custard Tartlettes with Roasted Grapes from Taste Cook Sip
Disclaimer: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Bob’s Red Mill, Cabot Creamery Cooperative, California Walnuts, Dixie Crystals, Grimmway Farms/Cal-Organic/True Juice, KitchenAid, Le Creuset, Nielsen-Massey Vanillas, Pacari Chocolate, Stonyfield Organic, Vidalia Onions, and Woot Froot for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek. All opinions are my own.