Today is another Secret Recipe Club Reveal Day! In the secret recipe club, each participating blogger is assigned a blog from another participating blogger and secretly searches their site for something to recreate. The accompanying blog post then goes live on reveal day! So while I was immersed in my assigned blog, someone else was picking through mine! I’m so excited to be part of this group, to see what on my blog peaks other’s interests and to stumble upon new blogs and new recipes.
This month I was assigned the blog Without Adornment written by Bean. Bean bravely talks about her battle with depression. Her blog title came to be from a sermon at church that really spoke to her. To live “without adornment” is something that I think everyone needs to learn how to do. To just be you. With the season of Lent upon us I found this to really hit home. It’s the time of year to reevaluate your relationship not just with God but with yourself. To better yourself, and what better way to do that than to live “without adornment.”
Bean leads a Gluten-Free lifestyle but that doesn’t hold her back from her favorite hobby of baking. I encourage you to check out her amazing recipe index. As I don’t keep gluten-free and am not proficient enough in my baking skills to alter recipes I looked to her savory dishes. With our new Stir Fry Day Fridays I was excited to see Pad Thai and Ginger Beef. I proceeded with the latter.
We enjoyed this beef not on a Friday, but for the Chinese New Year last week. I served it simply with white rice. I again had to eliminate the bean sprouts so I used a little more celery and carrots. I also used three large leaves from a bok choy instead of using baby bok choy. Oh, and I completely forgot to buy bell pepper, so that ingredient was also excluded from my version. This stir fry dish was a huge hit around the table. Thank you Bean for a great recipe.
Note: to keep it gluten-free, use a gluten-free flour (Bean used rice flour) and gluten-free soy sauce.
This stir fry feeds 4-6 people.
Ginger Beef Stir Fry
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 – 2 lb sirloin, sliced in thin strips
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced diagonally
- 4 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalk celery, sliced diagonally
- 3 bok choy leaves, chopped
- 1/3 C sugar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cooking sherry
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- Toss sirloin strips in flour to coat. Stir fry in batches until cooked through and remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add the onion, carrots, ginger, and garlic to the same skillet. When onions are translucent add the celery and bok choy. Cook until bok choy is wilted.
- In a small bowl combine sugar, soy sauce, sherry, and vinegar. Pour over veggies and bring to a boil. Allow sauce to thicken slightly.
- Make a slurry with the corn starch and 3 tbsp water. Gradually add the slurry to the stir fry (I didn’t use all of it) to thicken the sauce to desired consistency. Return the beef to the skillet and toss to coat. Add in the scallion.
- Serve with rice, if desired.
*This recipe is adapted from Bean at https://withoutadornment.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/gahigf-gluten-free-ginger-beef-and-chinese-esque-pork-dumplings/*
To see the other bloggers who participated in the Secret Recipe Club this month click here: