I have recently joined a food blogging community movement. #SundaySupperMovement. This particular group of bloggers gather around the table every Sunday in an effort to slow down; to savour not just the food, but each other. In our fast-paced, smart-phone-addicted world it’s nice to take the time, if only once a week, to gather together as a family and enjoy a home cooked meal.
Like other blogging groups, each Sunday finds this group meeting up behind a theme. This week the theme is “Heart Healthy”. Did you know February is American Heart Month? (Last week was Congenital Heart Defect Awareness week. I’d like to ask you to please check out my post in honor of our friends’ little boy with a CHD.)
Today’s event is being hosted by Ethel of eating in instead and Lori of Foxes Love Lemons. Below the recipe I’m sharing for today’s Sunday Supper you will find a list of other great Hearth Healthy ideas to place on your table.
Stuart has been asking for fish tacos for a few weeks now. I think he must really be missing living in Florida. Especially since it snows and is cold here. His thoughts of fish tacos and my thoughts of fish tacos are slightly different. Mr. Fitness is picturing light, healthy, and bright. I’m thinking crispy, fried, and kinda-healthy. The recipe I present to you marries the two worlds together for a very diet friendly and flavorful fish taco.
Oven Baked Tilapia Tacos
- 2 tilapia fillets
- 1 C flour
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 C breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 1/2 tbsp chipotle in adobo sauce
- zest 1 lime
- juice 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tbsp sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 2 1/2 C broccoli slaw mix
- 8 taco sized flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Slice each fish fillet into 4 strips (cut in half lengthwise and then cut those in half widthwise).
- In a shallow bowl whisk together flour, chili powder, and a little S+P. In a separate bowl beat the two eggs. Place the breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Dredge each fish strip in the flour mixture, then the eggs, and finally the breadcrumbs. Place strips on a lightly greased, aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile make the slaw. In a small bowl combine sour cream, chipotle sauce, lime zest, lime juice, sugar, and salt.
- Pour dressing over the broccoli slaw. I suggest doing this slowly so as to not over dress the slaw.
- Assemble tacos: place two fish strips in each tortilla and top with the slaw. If desired, add other taco favorites – like cilantro, avocado, or tomato.
*This recipe is modified from Jennie at http://www.injennieskitchen.com/2009/09/baked_fish_tacos_my_favorite_kitchen_addiction/*
Better for you breakfasts:
- Apple Pie Oatmeal by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scones by Brunch with Joy
- Create-Your-Own Overnight Oatmeal by Rhubarb and Honey
- Orange, Mango, Lime & Ginger Smoothie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Pear Bran Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Stovetop Fruit & Honey Granola by What Smells So Good?
Jump start your health with these appetizers and snacks:
- Almond Crusted Chicken Nuggets by Momma’s Meals
- Chipotle Black Bean Dip by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Aioli with Spring Vegetables by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mala Baked Tofu Bites by Palatable Pastime
- Parmesan Pistachio Kale Chips by The Texan New Yorker
Soups that’ll win your heart:
- Asian Soba Noodle Broth Bowl by Hip Foodie Mom
- Kale, Spinach, and Bean Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Mushroom Quinoa Soup by Pies and Plots
- Quinoa Chickpea Soup with Roasted Garlic & Veggies by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Turkey and Black-Eyed Peas Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Veggies, Sides, & Salads your heart will thank you for:
- Collard Greens with Cumin and Paprika by Nik Snacks
- Salmon Caesar Salad by Casa de Crews
- Kale Roasted Beet Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Noshing with the Nolands
- Lightened-Up Creamed Spinach au Gratin by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Teriyaki Green Beans and Mushrooms by NeighborFood
- Salmon Salad Niçoise by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Seasoned Spinach & Bok Choy by Nosh My Way
- Spinach Berry Salad by Country Girl in the Village
- Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad by Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Winter Citrus Salad with Avocado-Basil Dressing by Foxes Love Lemons
Healthy is the center of attention in these main courses:
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Celeriac Noodles with Mushroom Ragu by The Joyful Foodie
- Gluten Free Roasted Chicken and Kale by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Heart Healthy Salmon Bento by The Ninja Baker
- Lemony Grilled Chicken by Peaceful Cooking
- Moroccan Salmon Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Olive Oil-Poached Salmon with Pickled Cherry Salsa by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Piperies Yemistes me Pligouri – Bulgur Stuffed Peppers by Food Lust People Love
- Salmon with Mango Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake by Food Done Light
- Vegetable and Ginger Congee by eating in instead
- Vegetarian Cuban-Style Black Beans & Rice by MealDiva
- White Bean, Corn, Tomato and Rice Skillet by Family Foodie
Staying healthy doesn’t mean giving up desserts!
- Baked Figs with Vanilla and Honey by Happy Baking Days
- Caramelized Pear Tart by PancakeWarriors
- Cherry-Blueberry Trifles by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
We heart wine.
- Wine Pairing Recommendations for Heart Healthy #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.