I bookend this Super Bowl week with another recipe from The Wimpy Vegetarian. If you recall, The Wimpy Vegetarian was my assigned blog for Monday’s Secret Recipe Club post. I promised that I’d be sharing one of her soups during the Soup-er bowl and here it is!
Never having cooked with celery root before I was intrigued by her Celery Root Bisque. Stuart always wants to buy the bizarre ingredients in the produce section so I decided to go for it! (The celery root can be found in the produce section near the ginger root. And the rutabaga – which might be the next strange ingredient used in my kitchen.)
Cutting the celery root was a test for my new knives. For Christmas Stuart got me a set of chef-worthy knives. These knives make cutting onions quick, slicing lemons smooth, and potatoes easy. I was able to “peel” the skin off the celery root with ease and cube it up with minimal effort.
Okay, enough of the unpaid and un-asked-for sponsorship.
Back to the bisque.
I didn’t think there could possibly be a better soup than yesterday’s creamy tomato but there is! I enjoyed a cup of celery root bisque for lunch for an entire week.
This soup has that hearty, creamy texture you’d expect from a bisque and has the flavor of celery with a kick. There is definitely heat to this soup. If you want a milder soup remove the seeds from the serrano pepper, use only half the pepper, and/or omit the cayenne. However, it’s that zip from the serrano that has you going back for another bite.
This bisque is perfect for lunch or as a side dish. Susan served hers with lobster! Some homemade bread is a perfect accompaniment for dunking and toning down the spice.
Celery Root Bisque
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 russet potato, diced
- 1/2 shallot, diced
- up to 1 serrano pepper, diced (for milder soup remove seed)
- 1/4 C white wine (use 1/4 C stock if you want to omit the wine)
- 1 celery root, peeled and cubed
- 5 C vegetable stock
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 2/3 C heavy cream
- 1/3 C milk
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt butter and olive oil. Saute the onion, potato, shallot, and serrano until tender.
- Deglaze the pot with the white wine. Simmer until all the wine is absorbed.
- Add the celery root, salt, cayenne, garlic powder, ground mustard, and stock. Bring soup to a simmer and cook 35-40 minutes, until celery root is fork tender.
- Remove from heat and blend using an immersion blender. (If you don’t have an immersion blender carefully pour soup in small batches into a standard blender.)
- Return to low heat. Add the cream and milk and warm soup through before serving.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
*This recipe is adapted from Susan at http://thewimpyvegetarian.com/2014/03/celery-root-bisque-with-lobster-sundaysupper-fat-sunday/*