I have a confession to make.
I am not a fan of the everyone’s-favorite chicken noodle soup.
My soup preference is that of creamy, cheesy, thicker soups – like bisques and Panara’s Broccoli Cheese. So when Stuart requested some soup when the first cold hit in the fall I figured I’d try this new take on the classic. This creamy chicken noodle soup wasn’t a thicker version of the soup like I was anticipating, but did have a silkier quality to it.
This soup hit the spot!
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (15 oz) chicken broth
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken
- 2 C uncooked egg noodles
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/4 C flour
- 2 1/2 C milk
- 1/3 C heavy cream
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil (for the egg noodles).
- Meanwhile, in a large pot heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute onions, carrots, and celery until tender. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the broth, parsley, and bay leaves. Season to taste with S+P.
- Add chicken to the soup, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until chicken is cooked through. About 10 – 15 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside. Cut into bite size pieces.
- Cook egg noodles in boiling salted water according to package directions.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat melt butter. Make a roux by stirring in the flour. Cook about 1 minute, until roux is lightly golden. Whisking constantly, slowly add in the milk. Whisk until there are no lumps. Stirring constantly, add the cream and bring to a boil. Add the cream mixture to the soup. Return the chicken to the soup along with the cooked egg noodles.
*This recipe is adapted from Jaclyn at http://www.cookingclassy.com/2014/08/creamy-chicken-noodle-soup/*
Houston, we have a problem!! I don’t have a photo of this soup! (Click on the link above for a visual of this soup.) I don’t know how this is possible. I made this soup back in October. As I search my camera for photos of this creamy noodle soup and coming up empty handed I have a vague memory of saying, “I’ll take pictures of the leftovers tomorrow when there’s light.” Evidently that didn’t happen! Maybe there wasn’t light. Maybe I simply forgot. Or maybe I was busy cooking other things. It’s also quite possible I never ate lunch the next day – that tends to happen with a newborn in the house.
I don’t pull food photos off my camera until I write the blog post so that way I don’t forget about recipes while they sit in folders on my computer. This means that there are photos on my camera that are almost a year old! But I have a gap from Father’s Day to Halloween. And somewhere in there should have been this soup! I highly appologize. I know it’s a big faux paux of food blogging to post without photography, but what can I do?! (Please don’t leave me!) It’s not like I still have some soup to snap a photo of today to post for tomorrow (yep, I’m writing this the day before it goes “live”.) It would probably be better if I wrote the blog post the day or day after I cooked and just scheduled that post for whenever I wanted, but I can’t keep up with that kind of schedule. This is real life people.
As a consolation prize, I’ll provide you with a photo of the cutest little baby boy ever! (If I do say so myself.)