This month’s edition of #BundtBakers is a little different. No, you won’t notice anything unique about this month compared to any of the previous #BundtBakers events but behind the scenes I’ve gotten to try my hand at hosting! #BundtBakers is a group of bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bundts with a common ingredient or theme. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient.
Because Halloween happens this month I chose the ingredient of Caramel. I considered making candy the ingredient of choice but I couldn’t get Caramel Apples out of my mind. Looking at the day’s offerings it looks like I wasn’t alone! And there are even two recipes that use some popular Halloween candy in their bundts!
I must admit though, in all of my excitement at getting to host this month I ended up scrambling to make my bundt. Thankfully our leader Stacy of Food Lust People Love sent me a friendly reminder. If you’ve been following me on Instagram you may have noticed that I am in the market for a planner. If I had a super fun beautiful planner I wouldn’t have gotten my weeks messed up and this bundt would’ve been made in a less stressful environment. When it comes to #BundtBakers I’ve usually completed my cake and blog post by the first of the month!
But it all worked out in the end. My mother-in-law was visiting over the long weekend and although we had to lose some sewing time I got to bake with her! I did use a boxed cake mix as I was in a rush and because it was due to expire next week! I haven’t used a box mix in quite some time, hence it was about to expire. I needed to adjust the cooking time to accommodate for the deeper baking vessel. Feel free to use your favorite chocolate cake recipe if you so desire, but a little “semi-homemade” action isn’t a bad thing. It’s the apple crumble and the homemade caramel that set this cake apart.
Chocolate Caramel Apple Bundt Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix and ingredients required (or use your favorite chocolate cake recipe)
- 1 1/2 C brown sugar, divided use
- 1/2 C heavy cream
- 10 tbsp butter, divided use
- pinch of salt
- scant 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C flour
- 1/2 C old-fashioned oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 C finely diced green apple
- Prepare boxed cake mix to instructions. Pour batter into a well greased bundt pan and bake until a knife inserted comes out cleanly. Allow to cool. (I baked mine at 325 degrees F for 40 minutes.)
- Make caramel: In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine 1 C brown sugar, heavy cream, 4 tbsp butter, and salt. Once butter melts cook stirring constantly for 8 minutes until thick. Add vanilla and cook another 2 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Make crumble: In a large bowl whisk together 1/2 C brown sugar, flour, oats, and cinnamon. Cut 6 tbsp butter into cubes and fork into oat mixture until a crumble consistency is achieved. Pat the diced apple dry with a paper towel before adding to the crumble.
- When cake is cooled remove from bundt pan and cut a well in the top. Fill well with crumble and top with 1/2 C of the prepared caramel.
*This cake was inspired by Averie at http://www.averiecooks.com/2014/10/caramel-apple-cheesecake-crumble-bars.html *
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to email@example.com. All recipes and photographs can be found on our individual blogs, on our Pinterest board, and the #bundtbakers homepage.
And don’t forget to take a peek at what other talented bakers have baked this month: