This month members got to vote on the ingredients for the Crazy Ingredient Challenge. I love this new assignment method as it provides more time to allow inspiration to flow. It also gives me the opportunity to sway the challenge in a direction away from one of my many food allergies. I hated having to sit out last month’s Cantaloupe and Capers due to my melon allergy. I’m happy to say that my voted-for selection of Cranberries and Shallots won, by one vote!
There are a lot of directions one could take with this month’s challenge – salad, chutney, cheese log, bread pudding, anything Thanksgiving inspired, etc. I decided to do a simple side dish – elevating Brussels sprouts with sweetness from dried cranberries.
Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Cranberries
- 5 strips of bacon, chopped
- 1 1/2 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 C dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 C water
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat cook bacon until crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add Brussels sprouts to same skillet and cook 5 minutes. Add shallots and garlic – cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in cranberries, honey, and water. Reduce to medium heat, cover, and simmer 7 minutes until liquid is evaporated and Brussels sprouts are tender. Stir in bacon and season with S+P.
*This recipe is modified from http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/brussels-sprouts-with-walnuts-and-dried-cranberries/ and https://sewyoucancook.wordpress.com/2013/11/02/thanksgiving-brussels-sprouts/*
To see the other blogs that participated this month click on the link below. And if you’re a blogger and interested in joining us, contact Dawn at firstname.lastname@example.org. You don’t have to participate every month, but if you’re up for the challenge, we’d love to have you!