Thanks to the invention of the slow cooker there couldn’t be any easier dinner than pulled pork.
It’s great for a crowd and fool proof. And all you need are two essential ingredients – pork and barbecue sauce. From there you can add even more flavor with a dry rub if you so desire. And sometimes it’s fun to add an extra ingredient or two.
In this instance, the addition of pineapple juice into the barbecue sauce! My mom actually made this and pureed some fresh pineapple in place of the juice. Dad said that he could actually taste the pineapple. When we made it using juice I couldn’t pick out the pineapple, but I’m sure it added to the sweetness.
Another wonderful thing about pulled pork, is that it makes for fabulous leftovers whether you simply reheat and place on a bun for more sandwiches or re-purpose it in a quesadilla like I did. Other great ideas include stuffed baked potatoes or pizzas!
BBQ-Pineapple Pulled Pork
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 2 1/2 lb pork loin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 C pineapple juice or pineapple puree
- 1 C barbecue sauce
- hamburger buns
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, S+P. Rub over pork.
- Place pork in a lightly greased slow cooker.
- In a small bowl combine garlic, pineapple, and barbecue sauce. Pour over pork.
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. (If you’re home, flip pork loin halfway through cooking time)
- Shred pork and serve atop hamburger buns.
*This recipe is adapted from Danelle at http://www.letsdishrecipes.com/2013/08/slow-cooker-pineapple-barbecue-pulled-pork-sandwiches.html*