Today is my very first Secret Recipe Club Reveal Day! Each participating blogger is assigned a blog from another participating blogger and secretly searches their site for something to recreate. The accompanying blog post then goes live on reveal day! So while I was immersed in my assigned blog, someone else was picking through mine! I’m so excited to be part of this group, to see what on my blog peaks other’s interests and to stumble upon new blogs and new recipes.
For my first month participating I was assigned Lynsey’s blog Lynsey Lou’s. Lynsey has been married for six years (happy anniversary!) to a man she won over through food. Like me, she enjoys cooking most for her family and friends. She learned how to cook from her family and enjoys experimenting in the kitchen. I have secretly pinned a few recipes from her blog to try out in the future, including: Pork Tenderloin with Cocoa Crust, Raspberry Cream Cheese Pie, and Grilled Chicken and Spinach Salad with Spicy Pineapple Dressing.
Even though SRC Reveal Day is on a Monday I didn’t want to limit myself to finding only Mexican recipes. But Lynsey had this burger recipe that I just knew I had to recreate! Lynsey and her family absolutely love burgers, and as they’re one of my favorite foods too I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to make one. Especially considering I don’t have any burger recipes on my blog yet! Other than my Frisco Melt recreation where I confess to being a terrible burger maker. Here’s to hoping I can do Lynsey’s recipe justice!
When we were in Birmingham in January we went to Flip Burger Boutique where Stuart inhaled their Chorizo Burger, by which I mean I took two bites of my burger before I could even ask to try his! The Chorizo Burger came with a fried egg on top, so I decided to add that to her recipe. (I even put cheese on mine – and I normally omit cheese on burgers!)
This burger was a huge hit. Stuart was halfway through his burger before I finished assembling mine! We made this recipe after Daylight Savings Time so the sun was still out when we got home – providing for a prefect evening grilling burgers in the almost-spring weather.
Turkey Chorizo Burgers
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 C mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, divided use
- juice of half a lime
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 links Mexican chorizo, casings removed
- 1 1/2 tsp Creole seasoning
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 eggs
- 4 hamburger buns
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place poblano pepper on a foil lined baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, flipping every five minutes to create an even char. Remove pepper and place in glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let sit ten minutes. Peel skin and remove the stem and seeds. Roughly chop poblano and place in food processor along with mayo, 1 clove garlic, lime juice, and S+P. Puree.
- In a large bowl combine meats, 1 clove minced garlic, and seasonings. Divide into quarters and form into patties.
- Grill patties until cooked through to 160 degrees F, about 7 minutes on each side. In the last minutes of cook time top each patty with cheese. Spread buns with a little bit of oil and place on grill, if desired.
- Before assembling burgers fry eggs in a little bit of oil.
- Assemble burgers by putting chile mayo on each bun, top with spinach, burger, and fried egg.
*This recipe is modified from Lynsey at http://www.lynseylous.com/2012/07/turkey-and-chorizo-burgers-with-green.html*
To see the other bloggers who participated in the Secret Recipe Club this month click here: