I had so much fun making different flavored popcorns leading up to the Super Bowl, but there was one major flavor that I didn’t make. Cheddar Cheese! I had planned on it, but as I couldn’t find the powdered cheese at any of my local stores I had to order it off Amazon (Kraft Cheese Powder) and because I procrastinated in ordering, I didn’t get it in time. But I knew that an orange colored popcorn could be a great tie in to basketball and March Madness!
While basketball isn’t my favorite sport, I do get into creating a bracket for the tournament. If you are creating a bracket, Selection Sunday is tomorrow March 16th and the first round begins March 20th. The tournament continues until April 7th when the Championship Game will be played.
Cheddar Cheese Popcorn
- canola oil, enough to coat bottom of pot
- 2/3 C popcorn kernels
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 2/3 C cheddar cheese powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- Put canola oil in pot along with 2-3 kernels of popcorn. Cover and stand by. Once you hear the kernels pop, add the popcorn. Cover and cook over medium heat until popping slows. Gently shake the pop during the popping process so as not to burn the popcorn at the bottom. Remove from heat and remain covered until popping has ceased, unless you want to be pelted with popcorn. (If you have another method of popping popcorn, feel free to use it.)
- In a small bowl whisk together cheddar cheese powder and mustard.
- In a large bowl toss popcorn in butter. Once coated add the cheese mixture, toss to coat evenly.
*This recipe is adapted from Anisa at http://whiskandheels.com/kitchen/cheesiest-cheddar-popcorn*
P.S. – My keyboard may or may not be covered in cheddar cheese dust at the moment…. This is like the CHEETOS® version of Popcorn!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.