This month we were assigned Mustard and Strawberries. The challenge is to combine sweet strawberries with vinegary mustard. I decided to be liberal with the mustard ingredient and use honey mustard. Stuart wondered if strawberries could be pickled in a way to compliment yellow mustard. But I liked my idea better.
I present to you Strawberry Pretzels with Sweetened Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce.
I chose to follow Hannah’s recipe for pretzels because I could completely connect with her blog post. The trick was adding in strawberries. I was really nervous about this part. You can’t just fold them at the end of the dough making process like you would pancakes or cookies, so I added them during the kneading process and hoped for the best. I tried researching how to add fruit to pretzels and found absolutely nothing. So I tried looking for adding chocolate chips to pretzels, again nothing. I think I’m starting a trend here!!
Strawberry Pretzels with Sweetened Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
Ingredients for Pretzels:
- 1 (1 oz) packet active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar in the raw pure cane sugar
- 1 1/4 C warm water
- 2 1/2 C bread flour
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2/3 C finely chopped strawberries
- 3 tbsp butter, melted, divided use
Ingredients for Sweetened Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 C honey mustard
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- heaping 1/4 tsp honey
- In the bottom of a stand mixer gently stir together yeast, sugar, and warm water. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 C of flour to the yeast begin to stir with the dough hook attachment on low speed. Add 1/3 C of strawberries and stir. Add salt, remaining flour and strawberries. Mix until the dough comes together around the hook.
- Cover and let dough rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Punch dough and transfer it onto a floured surface, divide into six equal parts. (I think you could even get 8 pretzels if you wanted!) Roll dough into a long snake and shape into a pretzel – do this by making a heart and twisting the ends. (see photos above)
- Place pretzels on parchment lined cookie sheet. Brush with 2 tbsp melted butter and bake 10 minutes.
- Turn on broiler and bake another 1-5 minutes until golden brown. Keep an eye on them, the timing will depend on your oven. Brush with remaining 1 tbsp butter and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Make dipping sauce by whisking all three ingredients. Serve with pretzels.
To see the other bloggers who participated in this month’s Crazy Ingredient Challenge click on the link below.