As expected, October’s Crazy Ingredient Challenge involved pumpkin. But I never dreamed that broccoli would be the costar! At first reaction I thought – gross. But then I surprised myself with many different ideas:
- Pumpkin Hummus w/ Broccoli Pesto Swirl
- Pizza with Pumpkin Cream sauce and Roasted Broccoli and Sausage
- Broccoli Salad with Pumpkin Dressing and Pumpkin Seeds
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese with Roasted Brocolli
- Pumpkin Broccoli Bread
I decided to make the last option because my in-laws were in town over the long Columbus Day weekend. Having a bread available seemed like the smartest option.
I took a Banana Zucchini Bread recipe and substituted pumpkin puree for the banana and broccoli for the zucchini. I purchased a bag of broccoli slaw from the grocery store so that I wouldn’t have to shred the broccoli myself. (If you can find a bag of just shredded broccoli I’d suggest that instead of having to pick out the red cabbage and carrot.) Zucchini has a higher moisture content than broccoli so I boiled it prior to incorporating it into the batter.
Pumpkin Broccoli Bread
- 4 large eggs
- 2 C sugar
- 1 C vegetable oil
- 1 C pumpkin puree
- 3 C flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 C shredded broccoli
- 1/2 C slivered almonds
- In a pot of boiling water, cook broccoli for 4 minutes. Drain and pat dry between paper towels. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and add in the sugar and oil. Add pumpkin. Mix in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. Fold in broccoli and almonds.
- Pour batter into two loaf pans and bake for 50 minutes, until a knife come out cleanly. Note: This will make 24 muffins.