As expected, October’s Crazy Ingredient Challenge involved pumpkin. But I never dreamed that broccoli would be the costar! At first reaction I thought – gross. But then I surprised myself with many different ideas:
- Pumpkin Hummus w/ Broccoli Pesto Swirl
- Pizza with Pumpkin Cream sauce and Roasted Broccoli and Sausage
- Broccoli Salad with Pumpkin Dressing and Pumpkin Seeds
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese with Roasted Brocolli
- Pumpkin Broccoli Bread
I decided to make the last option because my in-laws were in town over the long Columbus Day weekend. Having a bread available seemed like the smartest option.
I took a Banana Zucchini Bread recipe and substituted pumpkin puree for the banana and broccoli for the zucchini. I purchased a bag of broccoli slaw from the grocery store so that I wouldn’t have to shred the broccoli myself. (If you can find a bag of just shredded broccoli I’d suggest that instead of having to pick out the red cabbage and carrot.) Zucchini has a higher moisture content than broccoli so I boiled it prior to incorporating it into the batter.
Pumpkin Broccoli Bread
- 4 large eggs
- 2 C sugar
- 1 C vegetable oil
- 1 C pumpkin puree
- 3 C flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 C shredded broccoli
- 1/2 C slivered almonds
- In a pot of boiling water, cook broccoli for 4 minutes. Drain and pat dry between paper towels. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and add in the sugar and oil. Add pumpkin. Mix in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. Fold in broccoli and almonds.
- Pour batter into two loaf pans and bake for 50 minutes, until a knife come out cleanly. Note: This will make 24 muffins.
To see other bloggers who participated in this month’s Crazy Ingredient Challenge, click on the link below!
11 thoughts on “CIC: Broccoli & Pumpkin Puree”
Your bread looks delicious!! What a great idea for the challenge.
This loaf looks really, really good. It was a brilliant idea to substitute pumpkin and broccoli foe banana and zucchini. May I have a slice, please. Good job!
Your bread looks amazing! I will bake it so that I can take it with me to work when I start my new job in November! I love that you were so creative with those two ingredients!
How smart to use a banana and broccoli bread recipe as your base! Your bread turned out beautifully. I am going to give it a try!
Pretty bread and a great way to sneak it in for your kids to eat 🙂 That’s my thought any way.
Adding to my to-make list. I wasn’t sure how much flavour broccoli would add to a sweet dish but I guess I need not have worried. I made the salad with pumpkin dressing for you!
I’ll have to check it out! The pumpkin over powers the broccoli in this dish, but you can see it ago that’s what counts 😉
Sounds good and a great way to sneak veggies to kids 🙂
This looks fabulous! I love that you went with dessert. I’ll definitely be trying this!
Wow, what a wonderful idea! It looks delicious!
Turned out great!