On this second Sunday of #10DaysofTailgate, which is hosted by Camilla of Culinary Adventures with Camilla, I have decided to highlight my favorite NFL team – the Chicago Bears. It is also fitting that today we play our rivals, The Green Bay Packers.
When you think Chicago food you think three things: pizza, beefs, and dogs. And Chicago’s favorite condiments: giardiniera, relish, and mustard.
I decided to create a tailgate friendly version of classic Chicago flavors. Pigs in Blankets, or well, in this case, ‘Da Bears in ‘Da Blankets! (Shout out to my mom for helping me come up with the title.)
I used all beef little hotdogs for my “bears” and the “blankets” classic crescent rolls sprinkled with poppy seeds. To satisfy the classic toppings of mustard and relish I served my dogs alongside some snack sized pickles and three different mustard dipping sauces. Why three? Because I couldn’t decide what flavor I wanted!
El Diablo Hot and Spicy Mustards is one of our sponsors for #10DaysofTailgate and they generously provided their six flavors of mustard for us to play around with. Three of them I am showcasing today and one will be showcased tomorrow, so be sure to come back and check it out! I admit I’m too scared to try the habanero flavor while breastfeeding and I’m allergic to the mango – but my husband has assured me it’s delicious and he’s already used it for dipping grilled chicken. Based on other #10DaysofTailgate postings, the Mango is very popular! My personal favorite is the Steakhouse.
I didn’t stop there with the Chicago menu though, I also made giardiniera. But not any giardiniera. I wanted to highlight another sponsored product, so I made a grilled giardiniera! I used the mesh grilling skillet from Mr. Bar-B-Q to grill all of the veggies! This skillet is awesome! The handle is detachable which makes for easy grilling. Simply place the skillet on the grill, remove the handle, and then when you’re ready to remove from the heat reattach the handle – no oven mitts required.
‘Da Bears in ‘Da Blankets
Ingredients for the dogs:
- 35 mini all beef hotdogs
- 1 can refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
Ingredients for the mustard dipping sauces:
Ingredients for the giardiniera:
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 large red bell pepper
- 6 baby carrots (or 1 large carrot)
- 1-2 serrano peppers
- canola oil for grilling
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1 tsp Gourmet Garden oregano paste
- Kosher salt, to taste
Steps for the dogs:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet.
- Cut each crescent roll triangle into strips of 4 and wrap around each of the mini hotdogs. Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake 15 minutes, until dough is golden brown.
Steps for the mustard dipping sauces:
- In a small bowl combine mayo and sour cream.
- Divide into three smaller bowls (1/3 C each).
- Stir 1 tbsp each flavored mustard into one of the bowls.
Steps for the giardiniera:
- Brush all of the veggies with canola oil and sprinkle with S+P. Grill veggies, tossing occasionally, until tender and the cauliflower is lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, finely chop all of the veggies and mince the garlic. Peel the skins off the serrano peppers and also remove the seeds. Note: If you don’t want a super spicy giardiniera use only one.
- In a bowl, combine veggies with olive oil and oregano. Season with salt. Keep refrigerated.
*The dogs and mustard dipping sauces are adapted from Pat and Gina Neely at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/neelys-pigs-in-a-blanket-recipe.html *
Thank you Jennifer and Mr. Bar-B-Q for sponsoring our event.
Disclaimer: I received El Diablo Hot and Spicy Mustards, a mesh grilling skillet, and herb pastes through this event, however all opinions are my own.
Don’t forget to enter our giveaway and be sure to check out the other bloggers who posted more tailgating recipes today: