Welcome to #CranberryWeek, hosted by Caroline of Caroline’s Cooking. We’ll be sharing cranberry-inspired creations all week long in celebration of national cranberry day. Search #CranberryWeek to keep up to date and follow the #CranberryWeek Pinterest board for more cranberry inspiration.
National Cranberry Day November 23rd – which is Thanksgiving Day this year. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love the extended weekend with family and friends. I love cooking all day (all week, really) and enjoying a plateful of the best sides of the year.
Last year’s #CranberryWeek was such fun – I’d made 3 of those recipes within the month and can’t wait to see what everyone is sharing this year.
To kick off this week I’m sharing a beautiful bread perfect for you holiday morning. The bread itself is sweet, flaky, and buttery. The swirl is tart with walnuts providing texture.
Cranberry Swirl Bread
Ingredients for bread:
- 1/2 C milk
- 1/2 C water
- 1/3 C butter, cubed
- 3 – 3 1/2 C flour
- 1/3 C sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pkt (0.25 oz) instant yeast (I used Red Star Platinum)
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 C chopped fresh cranberries
- 1/4 C water
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 C chopped walnuts (optional)
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk, water, and butter over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool down to 120 – 130 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together 1 C flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Add the warm milk mixture and mix 2 minutes at medium speed. Add the remaining flour and switch to the dough hook. Knead until the dough comes together around the hook and pulls away from the bowl.
- Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover and keep in a warm place until doubled in side, about an hour. (I put mine in the microwave.)
- Make the filling: In a small saucepan, heat cranberries, water, and brown sugar over medium heat, until cranberries are soft. Turn off the heat and stir in the butter, vinegar, and walnuts. Allow filling to cool.
- Punch down the dough and turn out onto a floured surface. Roll into a rectangle. Spread the filling on the dough, leaving a 1/2″ border on all sides. Roll, like cinnamon rolls. Cut in half and place into two greased 9″ x 5″ loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake bread 40 – 45 minutes, until an internal temperature of 190 degrees is reached.
*This recipe is adapted from https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cranberry-swirl-loaf*
Be sure to check out these other great cranberry recipes:
Cranberry Apple Cider Sangria from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Cranberry Apple Pecan Bread from Cookaholic Wife
Cranberry Apple Pie from House of Nash Eats
Cranberry Butter from Family Around The Table
Cranberry Coffee Cake from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Cranberry Loaf from Making Miracles
Cranberry Moscow Mules from Books n’ Cooks
Cranberry Mousse Chocolate Dessert Bowls by The Freshman Cook
Cranberry Swirl Bread from Sew You Think You Can Cook
Double Chocolate Cranberry Almond Bark from Frugal Pantry
Frosted Cranberries from Bear & Bug Eats
Pear Frangipane Tart with Cranberries from Caroline’s Cooking
Roasted Cranberry Chicken Salad from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
9 thoughts on “#CranberryWeek: Cranberry Swirl Bread”
I love that this is a yeast bread using cranberries rather than a sweet bread. It is beautiful and I’m sure it tastes as wonderful as it looks.
Thanks, Wendy! It’s like Cinnamon Raisin Bread – but cranberry style 🙂
That’s such a pretty bread and I sure it tastes delicious too. Yum!
Oh my, this is gorgeous and delicious looking! Great idea!