Whenever you’ve seen chorizo on my blog in the past it’s always been the Mexican version. Even in recipes that originally called for Spanish chorizo. I’d never been able to find it before.
But now, I’ve found a store that sells it!
Friday mornings I go to a Mommy and Me yoga class and right next door is this adorable grocery store. The store has the most beautiful produce section, a fabulous butcher counter with sausages made in-store, and an outstanding bakery. After church we like to pick up some sausages and some salted focaccia rolls for lunch.
We found Spanish chorizo in the international aisle and Stuart really wanted to get it. I knew immediately of one recipe I’d use it in (I’m waiting for the perfect day to share that one, though). The leftover chorizo ended up in this slow cooker dish!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Chorizo
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 skinless chicken thighs (bone-in recommended)
- 1/2 lb Spanish chorizo, diced
- 1 red onion,diced
- 2 leeks, sliced and cleaned
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 can (14 oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 C chicken stock
- 1/4 C cooking sherry
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Sear the chicken thighs on all sides until golden. (Do this in batches if necessary.) Place chicken in slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, saute the chorizo for 3 minutes until it’s lightly charred. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to the slow cooker.
- Saute the onions and leeks in the chorizo oil and cook until softened. Add the peppers, coriander, thyme, and garlic. Cook until peppers are tender.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, and sherry. Bring to a simmer. Season to taste with S+P and pour over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW 6-8 hours.
*This recipe is adapted from Abbe at http://abbescookingantics.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/slow-cooker-chicken-with-chorizo.html*