I am pretty excited about this month’s #Bundtbakers theme. PJ of Seduce Your Tastebuds is hosting and selected the theme. #BundtBakers is a group of bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bundts with a common ingredient or theme. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient.
I’ve always wanted to be a rebel and bake a savory bundt with this group, but haven’t actually been brave enough to do so. I’m really not a good rule breaker, or liar. That’s all probably a good thing. Today was my chance to take the savory route! I wasn’t even sure if I was going to be able to make the deadline with all the craziness that’s been happening around here. Between dropped naps and teething-related fussiness it’s been hard for me to get in the kitchen as much as I’d like.
I took a recipe for Cheesy Tomato Quick Bread and doubled it to fit a bundt pan. I didn’t have enough butter so I used a combination of butter and Greek yogurt. I debated adding some sausage to the bread, too, but figured I should try it as is first. I settled with serving sausages alongside the bread for dinner. The bread not only smelled like pizza, it tasted like pizza too. Next time I’ll definitely add some chopped cooked sausage or pepperoni to it. Maybe mix in some bonus veggies, too! I wouldn’t hesitate to serve the bread with some marinara dipping sauce to really drive home the pizza vibe, either.
This bundt was Treat’s first foray into the world of gluten, and he loved this bread. Cheese is definitely one of his favorite foods, so I can’t say I was surprised. I was, however, astounded at how much of the bread he shoveled in his little mouth. He also gnawed on the sausage as if he’d never eat again. This boy loves his food!
“Tastes Like Pizza” Bundt
- 4 C flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 C plain Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 C buttermilk
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a bundt pan or two loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and pepper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and yogurt until smooth. Mix in the eggs and buttermilk.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the stand mixer. Mix until just combined.
- Using a spoon, fold in the tomatoes. Fold in the cheese. Fold in the parsley.
- Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake 50-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out cleanly. Allow bread to cool slightly before unmolding.
- Bread can be served warm or at room temperature. Option to serve with marinara sauce.
*This recipe is adapted from Anita at http://www.hungrycouplenyc.com/2016/03/cheesy-tomato-quick-bread.html*
You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about #BundtBakers, can be found on our home page.
And don’t forget to take a peek at what other talented bakers have baked this month:
Bacon Cheddar Beer Bundt by The Queen of Scones
Blue Cheese and Pear Mini Bundt Cakes by Patty’s Cake
Breakfast Bundt Cake by Making Miracles
Dukkah, Herb & Cheese Monkey Bread by All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
Ham, Carrot & Beer Bundtlettes by I Love Bundt Cakes
Mexican Breakfast Bundt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Mini Meatloaf Bundts and Sliders by Magnolia Days
Rosemary, Olive Oil & Polenta Bundt by The Cinnamon Scrolls
Sausage & Apple Cornbread Bundt Cake with a White Gravy Drizzle by The Freshman Cook
Savory Zucchini Cheesecake by Food Lust People Love
Southern Honey Drenched Jalapeño Cornbread by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
Stromboli Bundt Cake by Palatable Pastime