Today is a very special Mexican Monday because today I’m posting for a Make Ahead Meal themed #WeekdaySupper week. #WeekdaySupper is a great movement by the #SundaySupper crew. Easy weeknight meals that can be done in under 30 minutes, without crazy, hard-to-find ingredients. This initiative is one we can all get behind. It’s important to gather around the table during the week, too!
I took the “make ahead” criteria to the extreme. For the cooked chicken used in this recipe, the day before I put a whole chicken in my slow cooker with a little bit of chicken broth, salt, pepper, and placed a little butter on top. After 6 hours or so on low I very easily shredded the most tender chicken. (My husband was picking stray pieces of meat from among the bones and skin remaining in the slow cooker before helping me clean up!)
Most of that shredded chicken will join forces with melted cream cheese, green chiles, pepperjack cheese, and spices for an incredible taquito filling that would be just as good scooped up with tortilla chips for a game day snack.
Freezer Friendly Taquitos
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped (I used Gourmet Garden lightly dried cilantro)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chiles
- 3 C cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 1/2 C shredded pepperjack cheese
- approximately 20 small flour tortillas
- In a small saucepan over medium heat melt cream cheese. Remove from heat and add the remaining ingredients (except the tortillas).
- Place cream cheese mixture down the center of each tortilla, roll and place seam side down on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- To bake: Spray lightly with cooking spray and cook 15 minutes at 425 degrees F. To freeze: Place baking sheet in the freezer. When frozen place in a labeled zip-top freezer bag. To bake, place on a parchment lined baking sheet and spray with cooking spray, cook 15-20 minutes at 425 degrees F until crispy and filling is melty.
- Serve with salsa, guacamole, or sour cream, if desired.
*This recipe is adapted from Karrie at http://happymoneysaver.com/freezer-chicken-taquitos-with-cream-cheese/*
Check out these other great make ahead meals that will be posted this week
Tuesday – One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Wednesday – Island Teriyaki Chicken Packets by Palatable Pastime
Thursday – Taco Bar by eating in instead
Friday – Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Pork with Homemade Sauce by Caroline’s Cooking