Earlier this month I hosted our monthly Po-Ke-No game. Po-Ke-No is essentially bingo but instead of letter-number combinations, the board is filled with different playing cards and a standard deck of cards is used to call out the “tiles.”
Each month someone new hosts and gets to pick a theme for the night. We all bring $1 and a “Secret Santa” style $10 gift in a bag. We play through two rounds. In the first, the winner of each game picks a bag and shows everyone what’s inside. In the second round, the winner of each game gets to steal a gift of their choice. Each gift can only be stolen twice, making it effectively “owned” a total of three times. (Starbucks gift cards and cash are the first to be finished.) We play one more game for “all the marbles” aka that $1 buy-in.
While it’s not a requirement, I like to make my “Secret Santa” gift match the theme of the night. For example: for the theme of flowers I brought a flower silicone bowl cover (similar to this).
I chose the theme of citrus. I made a large batch of my Fresh Lemonade, these orange rosemary roasted almonds, and my Key Lime Cheesecake Filled Graham Cracker Bundt Cake. Everything was a success.
Orange Rosemary Roasted Almonds
- 4 C almonds
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place almonds on prepared baking sheet. Lightly spray with cooking spray and roast 10-15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat melt together butter and sugar. Once the sugar is dissolved remove from the heat and mix in the rosemary and orange zest.
- Toss roasted almonds and the butter mixture together in a large bowl. Spread nuts back out on baking sheet(s) to cool completely.
*This recipe is adapted from Christie at http://akitchenhoor.blogspot.com/2015/02/src-reveal-orange-and-rosemary-roasted.html*
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.