Today is the first #BundtBakers post of the new year! #BundtBakers is a group of bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bundts with a common ingredient or theme. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient.
The first theme of the year is quite fun – birthday bundts. A big thank you to Sue of Palatable Pastime for this creative theme. You’ll be sure to find a cake recipe or three to help celebrate a year of birthdays.
My first thought was Funfetti. Nothing says Happy Birthday quite like sprinkles! And it looks like a few bakers went in that direction.
My second thought was, hey, it’s my husband’s birthday! And not just any birthday. The big 3-0! (Earlier this month, not today.)
My husband greatly enjoys Oreos and will order a cookies and cream milkshake over any other flavor 90% of the time. There’s a reason we don’t buy those cream filled chocolate cookie sandwiches – they’d be gone in two days!
I knew a cookies and cream birthday cake would be quite appropriate. But that meant I had to buy that blue package of cookies. Without hesitation, my husband opened up the seal. I told them the cookies were for his birthday cake, a cookies and cream cake! His response was priceless, “No, I’m just going to have regular cake because there won’t be any Oreos.”
With funfetti still on my mind, I simply added some rainbow sprinkles to the cake! So fun. If you have an Oreo lover in your family, this Cookies and Cream Sprinkle Bundt Cake is sure to please on their special day.
Decorating cakes is not my strong suit – another reason I love bundt cakes, the cake mold is typically all the beauty a cake needs. But, we’re talking birthday cake and birthday cake requires frosting. I used my simplest bundt mold and my novice frosting skills. I thought it’d be fun to put sprinkles on the outside of the cake to reflect the funfetti nature inside, but the result was a cake that looked like a donut. Not that donuts are bad (they’re not!). So I scraped it off, mixed in some more sprinkles and refrosted. I decided to top the cake instead with some extra crushed up Oreos. I was much happier with the new finished result.
There are two comments I’m going to make about this cake that I don’t think I’ve ever made before. 1 – This cake tasted better after two or three days than it did day of baking. 2 – I liked the frosting more than the cake! Seriously, that last comment blows my mind. Frosting is my least favorite part of cakes and why I don’t normally make one for my bundts. But, you guys, this frosting is amazing! I still have the extras in the fridge and I’m seriously tempted to dip some Oreos into for a serious sweet tooth fix.
Cookies and Cream Sprinkle Bundt Cake
Ingredients for cake:
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 C canola oil
- 2 C sugar
- 3 C flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 C buttermilk
- 1/4 C heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 egg whites, beaten to soft peaks
- 7 Oreo cookies, chopped
- 4 tbsp rainbow sprinkles
Ingredients for frosting:
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 4 – 4 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1 – 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 – 4 tbsp heavy cream
- 6 Oreo cookies, chopped
- sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a bundt pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, oil, and sugar.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Combine buttermilk, heavy cream, and vanilla extract in a measuring cup.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the liquid ingredients to the stand mixer, beginning and ending with the dry. Remove the paddle attachment and fold in the egg whites with a spatula. Fold in the crushed Oreos and the sprinkles. Pour batter into prepared bundt pan.
- Bake 60 – 65 minutes, until a cake tester comes out cleanly. Allow cake to cool at least one hour before unmolding.
- Make frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, mix together all of the ingredients until desired consistency and sweetness is reached. Frost cooled cake. Garnish with extra Oreos.
*This recipe is modified from Monique at http://divascancook.com/homemade-cookies-n-cream-cake-recipe-oreo/ *
And don’t forget to take a peek at what other talented bakers have baked this month:
Banana Bundt Cake with Vanilla Caramel Glaze from All That’s Left Are the Crumbs
Birthday Buttered Rum Cake from Faith Hope Love and Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
Bundt Cake de Bollo, Canela y Nutella from La Mejor Manera de Hacer
Confetti Birthday Bundt Cake fromPalatable Pastime
Confetti Lime and Cheese Bundt Cake from Bizcocheando
Doughnut Funfetti Bundt Cake from Kids and Chic
Eggnog Bundt with Hot Buttered Rum Sauce from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Lemon and Prosecco Bundt from Food Lust People Love
Piñata Birthday Bundt Cake from Patty’s Cake
Piñata Bundt Cake from I Love Bundt Cakes
Sugar Cookie Bundt Cake from Cookaholic Wife
Tropical Birthday Bundt Cake from Basic N Delicious